Friday, 19 October 2012


Distribution of Magazine



1.       Sale & Return

This relies on distribution, of the magazine, they give a set number to a retail outlet for example; I give 20 copies of my magazine to WH smith and only 15 getting sold, they’ll have 5 left and those 5 are returned with no cost to retailer, however this method can be extremely wasteful and expensive for the distribution.

2.        Online  distribution

Online distribution is by far the biggest method of distribution and most magazine are slowly diverting to the online magazine because you can have subscriber which is monthly money, which ensures you will be getting an income each month, you can also give those subscribers perks such as early new magazine before they sold in stores which will make others buyers interested in becoming a monthly subscriber.

(A subscriber is someone, who pay’s monthly by debit card for magazine, and they are sent to their emails)

3.           Postal distribution


Postal subscriptions are usually provided by large companies as they are guaranteed a sale and similarly to online distribution they also give away ‘free b’s’ clubs like Arsenal do monthly magazine and send them through post and those magazines can become collectors’ items, this is an expensive method and if you do not have the right financial income it could affect your business.


4.        Direct distribution

Direct marketing means selling products by dealing directly with consumers rather than through a second person or other various outlets , direct distribution is a popular method as  there are many advantages such as Higher profit potential   and is always current , so this allows you to adapt the magazine still be able to sell it to consumers


My Magazine

Firstly I really enjoyed this assignment as we was able to go out and see for ourselves the competition and hidden battles magazines companies go through enable to make there’s stand out from other magazines;  also the importance of the the low third and how if it’s not effective, you will not catch the consumers eye. When I first went to the shops to look for music magazines it surprised me how little variety there was and the dominance of the rock genres, most magazines and books stores are closing down due to online distribution and other methods which are more practical for

customers.

My magazine is going to be Jazz magazine therefore I do not want to go down the sale and return routes as I cannot afford to waste company’s is also bad for the environment and I want my magazine to be fulland with other competition from hip and rock that would be a challenging path, so I decided to choose postal distribution as I can have monthly issue which will be delivered straight to their doors. I would have an online website which will work in partnership; I will also give my postal subscribers perks posters for jazz artist who will be featured in our magazine, and put dates for when there performing next.

No comments:

Post a Comment